Do I need a music licence?

General licences Media

Public performance of music

When music is played outside the domestic sphere, for example in shops, offices, clubs or on the radio or television, this constitutes public performance. For such public performance, we ask a fee in the form of a licence, on behalf of the musicians and producers of the music.

We represent the rights of over 28,000 artists, session musicians and producers. We do so based on the Dutch Neighbouring Rights Act (Wet op de naburige rechten, WNR). This act dates from 1993 and states that ‘musicians and producers are entitled to equitable remuneration if the commercial phonograms published by them are publically performed or played’. Or in plain language: music makers are entitled to fair remuneration if their music is played in public. The exact cost of a licence will vary by situation.

the MOSt

General licences
About Sena
Music Works
Frequently Asked Questions

Do you use music in your business?